77 Mercury Marquis (77 Ford LTD) - help removing the gas tank without killing myself

Should be the same as a Ford LTD.

Any special considerations removing the fuel tank on this one?

It lived in Iowa and Minnesota (road salt) for most of its life, so you know that the rust down there is of epic proportions.

What is the best way to remove the heavily rusted tank strap nuts without screwing up the strap bolts and without killing myself in an amazing pyrotechnic display? Preferably without a tap and die set, because I don't have one, and also because there isn't enough clearance down there to use a die.

Can the strap bolts be replaced without welding?

If I have to take a wire brush mounted on a drill to the bolts, what is the surest way to shield the gas tank from stray sparks?

The gas tank has a leak somewhere on the top of the tank. If I fill the tank all the way up, gas starts leaking down from the top of the tank somewhere. Right now, there is probably around one gallon in the tank.

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net subtract where I hang at to unmunge

feklar's guitar playing:

will always take you to my ftp server if its up. The Amazing and Mysterious Powers of Mexican Females. Chapter 1: Levitation and Summoning.

feklar

[...]

ptaakhangsat

I used PB Blaster penetrating spray when I did mine. If they are really bad, keep the can in the car and shoot the nuts and bolts every time you get the chance. A day or two should make them turn.

I found the leak on my T-Bird was coming from the line feeding fuel to the engine. Of course, my car was a bit newer and had a pump in the tank so there was pressure on it. Good luck.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (feklar (was snipped-for-privacy@rock.com)) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net:

6 foot hole for you.for me bustig the old straps is easiest way cheap to replace and safer. if you can remove bolt great! i never have that luck. after out a good epoxy will fix the hole(s). but a yard replacement is better.also chock wheels in front jack way up, put on GOOD jack stands, like four for saftey, will get you high enough. Good Luck
Reply to
Treefrog