79 club wagon

i have this big old van and i am afraid the transmission went out. I have had it for 4 plus years. It seemed to rev up and not really go like it should, so i parked it. Just on time, because it wouldn't move after i backed it in the driveway. am i in for a major overhaul, or could it be something else? the original owner was a mechanic and is gone so i can't ask him.

Thanks for any opinions Pauley

Reply to
ep henderson

Have you even checked the fluid level? I'm betting it's low. If it's not, then my next bet would be a stopped up trans filter. Cold weather exacerbates both problems.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Being low would cause the problem? I had a friend check for me. He said it was down. He shut the hood before I looked, tho. I have to get a special funnel to fill it. Which I am going to do today.

Reply to
ep henderson

Absolutely. The only time I have ever personally had a C-6 slip has been due to low fluid.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I put some fluid in it. Drove it around the block, barely... Weather is not so cold down here. It's about 55 degrees f. here today. I guess I had better call a mechanic. I'm just so afraid it's going to be something major. I absolutely don't have the money for it. Thanks.

Reply to
ep henderson