84 Ford Tempo

Im hoping someone may have some information regarding my 1984 Ford Tempo GXL 5 Speed. Lately it has been geting harder and harder to start, and today I needed to push start it to actually get it going.
When I turn it over, i need to hold the gas and it almost sounds like it might back-fire, however it eventually starts.
We get a spark when we test the spark plugs, and my fuses and connections seem fine. Any suggestions to what may be causing this problem?
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. If you could post a response on this newsnet, or send me a email to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com I would be great appreciative.
Kris Marshall - Calgary Alberta