84 Ranger Dies After Starting

'84 Ford Ranger, 2.31 liter, Manual transmission
I am having a problem with my '84 Ford Ranger. When you turn the key to the "start" position, it starts right up. The second you release the
key to the "Run" position, the engine DIES. All the panel lights remain lit. The panel lights go out when the key is turned to the "off" position.
I have checked all fuses and fusible links. I have also replaced the ignition switch. I burned out the starter working on this problem and had to replace it also. I do have the service manual for this truck, but cannot find anything in it that has helped fix the problem.
I am very handy with engines and have kept this truck running well until this current problem.
Any suggestions from you as to what the problem is and what I should do to get my truck running again would be greatly appreciated! The holidays without wheels just ain't no fun!
Thanks, Bruce
sounds like a bad wire... theres an ignition coil wire that allows the engine to run when in the start or run posistion... when in start the wire sounds like it is making when in run it sounds like it is breaking... why not get the schematics and pull the ignition out and make your own (toggle switch) cheap reliable way
Ken

position.
Most likely lost the ballast resister. A schematic will tell you where it is.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is it. I temporarily re-wired it to bypass the ballast, and still had the same problem.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Bruce
Thomas Moats, wrote the following important message }:~)

Time to get out the DVOM and schematics.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for my silence. I have been out of town visiting family and fly back home tomorrow, at which time I will be able to try out these suggestions.
Thanks! Bruce
Thomas Moats, using only recycled electrons, took the time to scribe on the lovely day called 12/21/2003 6:19 PM the following important message }:~)

If you have the same ignition as the late seventies, there are two wire connectors to the module. Look for the one that has a red and a white wire only. One is run, the other is start. Check them out with a tester with the key in the appropriate position. Sorry, but I can't remember which color is which. If you have current there when you should, the problem is either the module or farther on towards the distributor. You'll probably find that the run wire has no current, while the start wire does. Hook up a toggle switch for a cheap fix, or replace the ignition switch.
max-income
--
Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.