'85 T-Bird Power Steering Problem

I have fitted a new power steering pump to my 1985 3.8 V6 T-Bird as per the Haynes manual. I am now trying to bleed the system by turning the wheel
back and forth witht he engine running. However, the steering is so stiff it will hardly move. Am I doing the right thing or is there an easier way to get rid of the air in the system?
Fiona
London, UK.

O.K. I'll state the obvious, jack the car up.
Bill
<<O.K. I'll state the obvious, jack the car up.
Bill >>
Cute! I've already done that!
Fiona
Yea, before you put the belt on, turn the pump by hand while filling it. The pump will not spin fast enough to aerate the fluid, will not damage the vanes because there is not enough fluid and you get no air in the system. Takes about 5 minutes.

I have never seen a (good) pump not prime/bleed when it full of fluid. Did you get this pump from a junk yard?