85 tempo rear drum brake adjusters ?

Perhaps y'all can help me out a bit. On a 85 Ford Tempo, I am adjusting the rear brakes manually every 6 or

8 weeks. One side clicks when I tighten, the other does not, but both require quite a bit of adjusting range. When not adjusted, braking is soft and emerg brake doesn't grab ( at all ). When adjusted for very slight drag, braking is firm and E-brake works ok.

When I remove the drum, nothing looks missing or out of place .. ?

Thanks much

Reply to
mandofred

Get a complete hardware kit & replace. The adjusters are worn out.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The "replace the adjusters" is good advice, but is there any chance that the right and the left adjusters have been swapped with each other? If that would happen, when the adjuster tries to tighten each time, it simply loosens each time. I've seen it happen.

Reply to
Kruse

"Kruse" wrote in news:1151268081.073291.13210 @b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

bingo. that is my bet what happened. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Thanks for the advise. Is there a way to observe adjuster movement with the wheel removed so I can narrow down the defective parts?

Springs vs screw, etc?

(I usually go to the self serve junkyard for parts.. this was a $10 car)