86 Ford Escort

Hi:     My 86 Ford Escort cannot speed more 20 mph when the engine becomes hot. When the engine is cold, it is fine. Can anybody help me what the
problem is?
Thank you kt
Heh I was just thinking how rare old (OLD?!) Escort threads are. Your vehicle fits right in with what I worked extensively on (in a shadetree manner).
Is the vehicle fuel injected? How is it acting when it won't go faster than 20 mph?
Does it misfire or act like it's not getting fuel (like as if you just weren't pushing the gas pedal).
1.9? Which tranny? (Not that it matters)