86 Ford Tempo

2.3l - no codes -- Car runs terrific. But, it it sits for 12+ hours I have to pump the gas a little, and then starts freat after that... Any ideas? Fuel pump...Fuel filter... TPS?
Air cleaner if fine, engine is clean inside and out, plugs are need, oil and filter new, etc... Cleaned throttle body intake.....
Please email me at snipped-for-privacy@dtnspeed.net
partsmore opined in

"Partsmore"?!!!!!
If you ARE for real, try 'priming' it by key on/off a couple times.. if it then starts without pumping you have a drainback problem. Could be fuel pump
If not, look for a vacuum leak

If I turn key on twice, it always starts and runs. If I push on the accelerator it also starts and runs? Fuel pump????
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:47:15 -0500, "partsmore"

leaking injector ?
put a fuel guage on it
hurc ast
At one point in time, I was "blessed" with a brand new 86 Tempo. IIRC, early production cars came with a Holley model 1895 carb and late production began with the CFI. A little more info might help.
Sorry, I don't do e-mail.... if you need help, you can come back.

Jim Warman wrote:

Hey Jim, I'm pretty sure 1984 was the only year for the carb.(They may have been available in Canada) 85-~89 were CFI, EFI til 1995.             Tom
Could be... Canada has been the "odd man out" in many models/features. It can make it hard for some cross border diagnosis.

available in

I took fuel line off at the throttle body unit, and turned key on, sprayed fuel 4+ feet every time. Starts great after the first time (after sitting). I dont see a fitting to tap into with fuel pressure guage. This am, I turned key on and waited for 15 secs, started right up, but if you try to start without waiting, it will not start.
partsmore wrote:

There is a check valve in the pump asy to hold fuel pressure when the engine is not running. The fuel is likely bleeding off past the valve. To solve your problem, you'll have to replace the pump. When you cycle the key, the pump builds pressure in the system. When you go directly to "start", the system isn't pressurised so it won't start. Although the pump is technically "bad" due to the leaky valve, it could operate normally for a long time. Just pause a few seconds after turning the key to start.                 Tom
partsmore wrote:

My Explorer did this. Ended up being the rubber fuel hose between the pump and the top of the tank was leaking (dryrot). Whoever thought of that shit design should be shot in the face.
JS
FoMoCo saved $1.25 on each vehicle for that engineering modification.
Ha ha