"86" Taurus GL wagon trans problem

Greetings Ford Fans, I just bought an 86 Taurus with a slipping trans. From what I've been able to discover, there is an aluminum piston, that needs to be a steel piston,
that is causing the problem. I and my son are adventurous souls and are going to repair the transmission. All I know about this creature is that from 86 to 91, this was a problem. I'm not really sure this is my problem. Does anyone know anything about this problem and what I'm going to discover when I get in there? The internet is very vague and incomplete in it's description of the problem.
Thanks Glen Ray
The aluminum piece has a tendency to crack, allowing apply pressure to leak past. Due to the resulting weak, half-assed apply, expect to find a trashed friction. Slushbox rebuilding can get to be a bit involved and unforgiving, and these 'boxes were not exactly known for durability to begin with. In my humble opinion, buy a rebuilt unit to swap in yourself and save in the long run.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:32:57 -0700, Glen R. wrote:

You should check out www.tauruscarclub.com I'm sure there are folks there who could help you.
CJ

wow, original taurus.