87 351, 5.8 liter, what weight oil

Can anyone suggest what weight oil for this enigine, has 130K, being used in a conversion van gvw 7800.
Thanks in advance. Bob

we use 10w30 in those engines sir. most will tell you on the dipstick or owners manual what to use.. lucas
bob wrote:

10w30?

Thanks for info, we did not get the owners manual.
bob wrote:

i had an 88 351w and a 95 351w 10w30 is what it called for.

I'll draw flack here I know, but I'd use a good 10W40 oil, or in warm climates something like 15W40 Rotella T from Shell.. Short of Rotella, I'd use 20W50 for summer use.
10W30 is borderline for that engine in that application. It is working hard in a hot location, and it IS an older technology motor. My recommendation to use Rotella is due to the removal of Zinc compounds from virtually all current passenger car formulations over the last few years. Zinc is an EP lubricant additive, and is still included in Multifleet and motorcycle oils. Rotella is a diesel rated multifleet oil (acceptable and recommended for gasoline engines in severe service)

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I argue the fact that the engine probably isn't really working that hard.. that sounds like an appropriately sized engine to the application, and i wouldn't call it extreme duty. I know at least two volunteer fire departments that have ford vans with 351w s and we (&they) use 10w30.

besides that, being a 87 it should be a roller cam eng. that means that the higher zinc oil is not needed. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.

And a 1987 E series is still a carbed engine too, is it not? Van and pickup carried over the same engine as a 1985 Ford car.
If it is a 4bbl or SEFI engine you MAY have roller rockers. If not, a Zinc free diet is not highly recommended.

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:12:23 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff

IIRC, the truck versions of the "W's" did not go to rollers until the 1993 model year. I know for sure my 1990 engines were flat tappet cams. I have a 93 5.0 that is a roller while another earlier production one I had was a flat tappet. We also have a couple of Bronco's with 5.0s and 5.8s in the 92 thru 94 vintage. The 94 has a roller 5.8 while the 92 has a flat tappet cam. I don't find any roller cam listing at all for the pre 93 "W" in a truck. Whatever the case, the choice of oil is best based on the owners manual recommendation. IIRC, most conditions in those years was for 5 or 10w30 unless the vehicle was operating in very cold or hot climates. The charts from ford usually consider the ambient temperature expected during the oil change interval. IIRC, 10w30 would cover at least 95% of what I see here in the SE USA. The other 5% won't make much difference. One thing I place a lot of weight on is the cold start driveaway habits since the cold start is where the oil does not immediately flow well and most wear occurs. Once the oil is hot, it doesn't make a lot of difference unless the engine is overheating.
Lugnut

Lugnut, I wish you would allow your posts to be archived. You have too much good information.
John

E series vans are known to run hot in the doghouse, and a 351 in a"7800 lb" van conversion (I'm assuming a class B type unit) is worked pretty hard by many RVers. The fire department vehicles don't go down the highway fully loaded at 70 MPH for 5 hours straight like a lot of RVs do.
I stick by recommendation from experience.