87 Aerostar Power Steering lack of assist

Replaced the PS pump and rack on 87 aerostar. Fittings don't leak and fluid is right at top line of 'cold' level on dipstick before I start the engine. I flushed the system by briefly turning over the engine (ignition disabled) and refilling the reservior. This was repeated a few times and I verified the fluid coming out of the return line was clear. Belt tension is good. Then I started the engine and I attempt to bleed the system by rotating the steering wheel from just-before-the-stop back to just-before-the-other-direction's-stop but all I get is a no-assist, hard turning with shuddering as I go back and forth. Also I don't get any whining noise at all. Neighbor mechanic said it takes a while to break in new systems but it's been a couple of days with no change. What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
87aerostar

you didn't say why you replaced them both.

Reply to
oldkid

achieving pressure.if parts are rebuilt i suppose ya coulda got a bad one.

Reply to
oldkid

Yep, it would help to know that.

You didnt, by any chance, ACCIDENTLY take the pressure port valve apart did you? IT's the brass thingy between pump and Hi-press line

The pump is pretty simple... hard to believe itself was assembled wrong.

The valve body in the rack being assembled wrong is a suspect but what a pita if that's the problem!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It may have been overkill but I wanted to start from zero doubt on both components - having had problems with the power steering before. The theory was, even if I spent more on parts, I'd save on time by avoiding another trip. Boy was that wrong. I did not disassemble any valves - just disconnected the hoses, pulled off the pulley, then pump, pulled off the tie rod ends and mount bolts on the rack and reversed to install new parts. I _did_ put a power steering fluid filter in the return line. This was done after the initial flushing of the new parts. My next step may be just to remove that and see if that has any effect.

Reply to
87aerostar