87 Crown Vic tranny problems

Hi all,

I have an 87 Crown Vic with 99k miles on it. I got it when my grandmother passed away when it had 30k miles on it in 1999. I immediately had the transmission serviced at about 35k miles. Now the tranny is slipping when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th gears. Only does it when the tranny is cold. Once it warms up it stops. Once it starts shifts and starts slipping I let off the gas and let it complete the shift. If I step on the gas too hard it slips again. Once warm it goes away. Anybody have an idea what the problem is? Will the transmission have to be completely rebuilt or is it some part in the transmission that needs replacing that won't be as expensive?

Thanks,

Marty

Reply to
Marty

Have the throttle cable bushing where it attaches at the throttle body. They tend to fail resulting in low line pressure which can cause trans failure very quickly if it hasn't already. There is an updated part available. A good shop or dealer should be able to help you.

Reply to
lugnut