87 Ford Taurus emissions problem

I have an 87 taurus 3.0L that failed high speed HC. All of the other emissions tested passed. It is a high mileage car mainly driven on highway. Results were as follows: High speed: HC Spec: 168 Test: 211 CO% Spec: 1.08 Test: 0.35 NOx(ppm) Spec:1208 Test: 614 Dilution(%) Spec >6 Test: 14.4 Low Speed: HC Spec: 173 Test: 173 CO% Spec: 0.98 Test: 0.30 NOx(ppm) Spec:1323 Test: 828 Dilution(%) Spec >6 Test: 14.5 Where to look first? Thanks Jim Stockton

Reply to
Jim Stockton

In article , snipped-for-privacy@pdq.net says... |I have an 87 taurus 3.0L that failed high speed HC. All of the other |emissions tested passed. It is a high mileage car mainly driven on highway. |

When was the last time it had a tune up ? EGR controls ok ? catalytic converter still healthy ? Does it burn any oil ?

Reply to
Steven Stone

Plugs & Wires about 4 months ago.I had put in the Bosch Platinum plugs and it didn't seem to run any better. I think I will change plug back to conventional ones. It doesn't have an egr and the cat must be fine by the NOx number. It may have started using some oil but normally it only uses a quart between oil changes. It is about due for an oil change though. Any other thoughts? Jim Stockton

Reply to
Jim Stockton

|Any other thoughts? |Jim Stockton

Vacuum leaks ? dried out vac. line hoses ? timing ?

Didn't they have some issues with the ignition module that was bolted to the side of the distributor back then?

That's all I can think of for the moment. I used to work on my parents

3.0 88 Taurus wagon. Those are the things that come to mind.

Try a google search ? Steve

Reply to
Steven Stone

Platinum plugs last longer, but don't necessarily 'run' better.

Change the oil! You need to anyway. Perhaps go up in grade to a

10W40. The engine may have some blow-by from cylinder and ring wear. In a modern engine, a qt between oil changes is a lot. A thicker oil will resist burn-off better (in general).

Maybe even consider a 15W40 or 20W50 diesel engine oil for summer use, if engine has a LOT of wear...for better scuff protection. I did that on a 4.3l blazer with 200k+ miles and got several extra years of life out of it.

Replace intake air filter, PCV valve ( PCV filter if any).

EGR...unless it indeed has none

Fuel evap system....it HAS one, may just be a charcoal canister. FYI on my 87 Chevy, it was a charcoal canister and 3 vacuum valves. one of the valves was bad and threw the whole HC out the window.

Find out when the lines are shortest at the E-check place. Drive the car 30 minutes, finishing with 10+ miles highway, to be sure it is is fully warmed up....then straight to the test. If I have to wait in line, I pop it into park or neutral and rev it above idle to keep it warm. (maybe 1500 rpm so as not to be TOO obnoxious).

-DB Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer