87 taurus wagon

Hi Gang, I'm hoping someone can help out since I'm learning about car repair through the crisis method - if we have a car crisis, I learn fix it (or try to, at least). My wife and I inherited an '87 Taurus wagon from her parents recently. We had been using it for about 2 weeks when I got in after a trip across town and it wouldn't start. No power, or so it seems. I changed the solenoid that mounts on the sidewall near the battery, thinking that might be the problem. However, it hasn't solved the problem.

Before changing the solenoid I could pull on the positive battery cable and get juice to start the car. Now that I've changed the solenoid there isn't any power, no matter what I do. One of guys I spoke to at an auto parts store mentioned checking the fusable link. What is it and where would I find it to check it?

Thanks for any help you can give, Rob

Reply to
Rob Meinecke

Define: Car wont start. does that mean everything is dead, or it just wont turn over. Headlights work? radio?

If everything works but the starter, it may be the starter. You might want to reground the main ground on the engine block and re tighten the starter hot lead on the starter before you throw parts at it.

You might have a bad battery too. Many shops will test batteries and other electrical parts for free. (you do have to remove them first)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

go back to the battery and see if you messed up the wires from the battery cables(you should not pull on them, you might break them).. buy some battery cable clamps and replace the clamps... that is probably the problem(by pulling on it you make a contact at the time it would start... now from pulling on it so much you might have pulled the wire from making contact and it will not start....

Reply to
dbird