87 tempo sensors

Can anyone tell me where the throttle position sensor is located on the 87 Tempo. Also is it easy to replace? What function does the Potentiometer serve and would it have any thing to do with erratic
ideling and stalling? Thanks, Don
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Donnie Shortpants) wrote:

At the end of the throttle shaft in the throttle body opposite the end where the throttle cable and detent cables attach.

Yes, 2 screws although they may be sealed with loc-tite, so heating the heads with a soldering iron/gun may be necessary to avoid breaking the screws off.

It reports to the ECM a value that represents the amount of throttle opening, the rate of throttle change and which direction the throttle is moving (open or closed).

Absolutely, it's the only sensor that can tell the ECM that the throttle has fully closed and that the ECM should apply the proper idle strategy from its programming. But it's not the only cause.
The TPS is as Neil puts it. Your engine I believe is CFI not multipoint. That will mean you have a Idle Speed Control motor with an Idle Tracking switch on the end of the motor push rod.. The job of the Idle Tracking Switch is to tell the processor that the Idle Speed motor push rod has made contact with the throttle linkage. When the switch goes bad the processor can not tell if the motor has made contact so it will "hunt" the idle will go up and down repeatedly and sometimes the engine will stall. The reason is that the primary value the engine processor uses is the engine RPM, the TPS is read in ranges ( the processor does not look at it in a linear fashion ).

I could be wrong but IIRC Ford built some of each in 1986, but 1987 models all used multiport injection. That's referring to the Tempo. The 2.5 Taurus used CFI and that stupid idle tracking switch for a couple more years I think. Bob

I believe 88 was the change to multipoint on the Tempo/Topaz it went along with the body change.