88 F150 5.0 MAP sensor ?

My 88 F150 has been idling poor or not idling at all, surging at stop lights and poor acceleration like a plugged converter. I've changed the exhaust system(converter also), IAC, EGR,plugs, wires,cap,rotor and fuel filter.No change, but if I unplug the vacuum hose to the map sensor, it idles good again cept for some black smoke from exhaust pipe.Dumb question, but sound like I need a new MAP sensor?I'm tired of putting money in where it doesn't belong.

Reply to
SSJ

'Some black smoke' indicates rich mixture - probably because with zero vacuum, the MAP is doing its job and telling the computer that the engine is at maximum load... If anything, seems that your experiment indicates that the MAP is working. This is a dumb question, but have you pulled the stored trouble codes? Ran self-test diagnostics? Will be much cheaper than throwing money on parts. In fact, you can do it yourself at a cost of a paper clip.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

To test the MAP, unplug the ELECTRICAL connector, not the vacuum and go for a ride. If it is bad it will run better when unplugged. Plug and unplug with the key off.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

"SSJ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Common problem also with bad Fuel Pressure Regulator, see if there is gas in the vacuum port.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thank you. I'll try thr paper clip test. I haven't done it befor, but have read many articles on how to do it. I'll follow the guidelines and see what I come up with.

Reply to
SSJ

Good plan and thank you. I'll try that and also going to try and read the codes via paperclip test as the Happy Traveller suggeted.

Reply to
SSJ

Thank you for the advice. I haven't considered the regulator. Also going to try and read the codes via paperclip method as Happy Traveller suggests.

Reply to
SSJ

how many miles on engine? is fuel filter replaced? air filter? i know it sounds dumb but years ago i worked @ a lumber yard had a truck that was so worn out (cat was also plugged) and vacuum was so low that it had these symptoms.

1 check plugs and other tuneup items 2 check / replece o2 sensor 3 check fuel pressure 4 check cat convertor
Reply to
Rob