88 ford aerostar ignition

i need to find out how to get the ignition out when its in the locked position anybody please help me

fordmandan wrote:

It sounds like you don't have the key. If so, you can't remove the cylinder without destroying it. The cylinder must be in the RUN position to depress the pin and remove the cylinder. There is a tool for removing the cylinder without the key but it falls into a shady area and could be considered a criminal tool. It's called a "Ford Bypass Tool". The way it works is: Break off the chrome "butterfly', drive the tool onto the iner barrel of the lock cylinder, and turn the tool with a wrench. This destroys the inner workings of the cylinder but allows the cylinder to be removed without damaging the column. You might be able to do this with a large screwdriver in the key slot, I've never tried it. A locksmith might be your best bet if you have lost the key and want to obtain another one. The smith may also have the bypass tool. It is not commonly available to the public and cost about $40 or more. ( I paid $35 for mine 10 years ago).                 Tom
thanks tom a very heavy screw driver an vice grips did it, lock smith wanted 185 dollars new ignition cost me 15 dollars at auto zone thanks again tom
fordmandan wrote:

Great. I always wondered if the screwdriver would work. I've always used the tool.             Tom