88 Ford Festiva Pulling HARD

hi there. i have an 88 ford festiva. i bought it in december and it was slightly off alignment then. I've driven it about 6,000 miles since then (it's a work car) the alignment seemed to get worse with each trip and after my last one, it's horrid. If i dont hold the wheel with both hands it just whips across the road at full speed. if i go to shift and let go of the wheel at all it lurches hard to the right. the tires look fine, there is no swaying, shimmying, or clicking when driving. Wondering if you know if it could be anything other than alignment. going to get it aligned tomorow and just curious.

kim

ps: i have to hold the wheel almost completely on it's side to go straight but when i stop it goes back to normal position

Reply to
floorpie

slightly off alignment then. I've driven it about 6,000 miles since then (it's a work car) the alignment seemed to get worse with each trip and after my last one, it's horrid. If i dont hold the wheel with both hands it just whips across the road at full speed. if i go to shift and let go of the wheel at all it lurches hard to the right. the tires look fine, there is no swaying, shimmying, or clicking when driving. Wondering if you know if it could be anything other than alignment. going to get it aligned tomorow and just curious.

when i stop it goes back to normal position

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Its either a tire(s), or the alignment, or both...

slightly off alignment then. I've driven it about 6,000 miles since then (it's a work car) the alignment seemed to get worse with each trip and after my last one, it's horrid. If i dont hold the wheel with both hands it just whips across the road at full speed. if i go to shift and let go of the wheel at all it lurches hard to the right. the tires look fine, there is no swaying, shimmying, or clicking when driving. Wondering if you know if it could be anything other than alignment. going to get it aligned tomorow and just curious.

but when i stop it goes back to normal position

Reply to
Scott M

|Its either a tire(s), or the alignment, or both...

a bent/worn steering knuckle will do this. Only way to find out is to get under the vehicle and inspect. OR, jack up the vehicle and try to wobble tires on horizontal and vertical axes.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

slightly off alignment then. I've driven it about 6,000 miles since then (it's a work car) the alignment seemed to get worse with each trip and after my last one, it's horrid. If i dont hold the wheel with both hands it just whips across the road at full speed. if i go to shift and let go of the wheel at all it lurches hard to the right. the tires look fine, there is no swaying, shimmying, or clicking when driving. Wondering if you know if it could be anything other than alignment. going to get it aligned tomorow and just curious.

when i stop it goes back to normal position

Mine required a frame pull to fix a positive 2.5 degree camber on one wheel. I must have hit a pothole. There is no camber adjustment on Festivas. The alignment and frame pull cost $103.00.

Wonder if maybe a brake is dragging, which you would smell also.

Mark

Web site:

Mark