88 Ford T-bird with AOD tranny

I was wondering what would cause my transmission not to have OD? It has proper fluid level, the guy I bought it from said he took out the OD pump, is there such a thing? It shifts a little late, havent looked at TV cable
yet, thats the next step I was gonna take, let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks
no one must be able to give any suggestions huh?!

"A Frazier" wrote

So how's the TV cable? You checked it, right? Are you sure it still has the AOD trans in there, and it wasn't replaced with a C3 C4 or C5 (all 3-speed)?
Try asking on the CoolCats message board: http://pub5.ezboard.com/bfoxthunderbirds A fun place, and they know a lot more about transmissions than I do.
I had the same thing happen on my 90 tbird, several years ago...the valves were sticking in the valve body, Ford wanted to replace the whole thing, but I told them to just clean them. I havent had a problem since...that was 8 years ago.

pump,
cable
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:12:48 GMT, "A Frazier"

If it does, in fact, have the AOD and, it has no OD while other positions seem normal, you likely have a broken or failed OD band in the trans. This was/is common. It requires the trans to be pretty much fully disassembled to repair. There is no OD pump in it. The TV cable had problems with the bushing where it attaches to the throttle. It will cause screwy shifts and the low line pressure will result in damage to the trans like failure of the OD band and others. If this is the case, your trans is likely very near nothing but a core.
The car does have the AOD tranny, and it looks like the TV cable is ok, I did notice however that there was a recall on this car, it said Throttle Lever Grommet. I dont know what that is.
So if I drive it with no OD will it hurt the tranny?

"A Frazier" wrote

I already told you. Are my messages not getting out? I had links to pictures, Ford part numbers, and everything.
I got the messages and I checked the links, but my case is different, everything looks intact in with the cable, I just cant figure out how to adjust it one way or another.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:27:24 GMT, "A Frazier"

The cable is adjustable but, if you have "NO" OD as you say, there is no amount of adjudtment going to help you on this one. As said above, if you suddenly have no OD and it was working properly, you likely have a broken or burned OD band - not unusual.
Lugnut

So, if the band is bad, then will it hurt the tranny to drive it this way? I mean will the thing last for awhile or what?

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:51:26 GMT, "A Frazier"

If it is a broken OD band, it may last for some time as long as you select D instead of OD to keep the engine from accidentally overrevving. It just depends on whether and if it released any debris to get to other parts. Any way you go at it, the repair consists of an overhaul with the age and mileage on your trans.