88 mustang NO REVERSE

I need some assistance on this one. I know what I did! So don't make fun of me! I replaced the clutch on the 2.3 mustang and then I began to pull the reverse pin out instead of the fill plug.
Now there is no reverse (of course).
So the question is: Is it possible to get the pin back in properly without taking the trany out?
Any procedures would help & remember don't make fun of me! hahaha
3 different ford dealers told me 3 different things.
Thanks PW
You can try, but I don't think you will be successful.

Pw wrote:

My father accidentally removed the reverse pin on a transmission at our shop. We ended up removing the trans, and it was a good thing, because the lever that rotates on that pin has a crimp-on retainer, which is now floating around inside your trans, ready to wreak havoc.
Remove the trans ASAP. The fix is fairly easy...remove the inspection cover on top, turn it upside down to get the retainer out, then repair as necessary.
Gerard
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html