88 Ranger problem

After driving for about 20-30 minutes, my truck decides to shut off. It loses power, bogs down, and then shuts off completely. When I try to restart it, it's as if the battery is dead. It will try to turn over a few times and then dies. If I wait for about 30 minutes it will start right up like nothing is wrong until about another 20 minutes passes and it does it again. The truck is not over heating and isn't low on any fluids. It has the 2.9 v-6 and has about 165,000 miles on it. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! TIA

Reply to
AUTiger

SOUNDS like two different problems, but maybe not...

Get a TFI (ignition module) wrench at your parts store and pull the module.

If the lube on the back is caky and basically solid, that's your problem.. or soon will be. Suggest you DONT replace it with "Wells" brand. Remember to lube with dielectric or heat sink grease.

That or your catalytic converter is gone and plugging exhaust.

BTW, if you're going to drive an old EFI ford, do a google search on how to read out EECIV codes using a test lite and a jumper. TFI problems usually dont show, however.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Ooops! Dont mean to imply that's an either or... might be a number of things, those just come to mind.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the response, however, I replaced the ignition module last week and it has no catalytic converter. I think my dad had it taken off a while back. When I replaced the ignition module I didn't put any grease on it. Could that be the problem? Thanks again : )

Reply to
AUTiger

Oh, yeah... it could.

If the problem started shortly thereafter... but even if you have the same problem and that didnt fix it, no lube = failure for sure.

Make sure to clean off the old.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I replaced the ignition module last week and I didn't put any grease on it. Could that be the problem?

It could. The ignition module generates heat that must be conducted away, or the semiconductors in the module will begin to fail. The special installation grease has the high thermal conductivity needed.

Good luck.

Reply to
Rodan