'88 Ranger stalling problem

I've got an '88 Ranger, 2.3L that has developed stalling problems. The truck will idle in the driveway smooth as a kitten all day long. When I pull out on to the road, it will begin to lose power and stall. If I pump the gas pedeal (although it is fuel injected) it will sometimes keep it from stalling all the way and recover. Sometimes, it will run a mile or two, sometimes not 10 yards. Doesn't depend on vehicle temperature or weather. I get no error codes from the computer, have replaced both fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel pump relay and O2 sensor. The coil, distributor, plugs, wires, and idle air control solenoid all are within specifications.

Any ideas?

Reply to
kegle

That sounds EXACTLY like what I just had with my 96 explorer. The codes were reading low signal input to the MAF, and intermittent signal to the MAF. The symptoms were identical to yours. In the end, it turned out to be an electrical problem, one of the wires between the MAF and the computer was broken somewhere along the way. Once I had someone at Ford locate and replace the wire, all was fine again.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Silmarillion

Interesting. My Ranger predates MAF, but it could be a wiring problem somewhere. I'm starting to think it's not mechanical, but an electrical or sensor problem somewhere. Of course, those are the most difficult to locate. I'm pretty good with moving parts, but not moving electrons.

Reply to
kegle

Does it seem to have a dead spot right off idle, so for instance if you gun it it will go just fine but if you drive normal it will cut out/try to stall? If so check the TPS sensor.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman