88 tempo will not shift

Howdy I have a 88 ford tempo with a 4cly and a auto transmission .My question is I can shift to reverse and drive but when driving it will not shift to second and third the car has been sitting for 6 years and I just got it back up and running put fresh tranny fluid in it that didn't help.Is there a cheap fix for this I don't have much money.It work fine when I drove it from my old house which is 31 miles a way. but at about 10 mins from the house it would not shift to second or third I check the tranny fluid and it was bone dry.I forgot to check it like I said its been sitting for 6 years with out being cranked.is there any way I can fix it with out spending a lot of money or should I just junk it .

Reply to
Steve W H

The problem is often the gear cluster that drives the speedometer gear and governor.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

I hate "snake oils", but one you could try (that many many people have had very good luck with) is lucas transmission fix.. it's under $15, so it's not a big investment.. i'm guessing you just refilled the trans, so there is still a ton of 6 year old fluid (and most likely water, gunk, etc) that was still in the transaxle..

Reply to
Teknical

Teknical opined in news:FRoUc.124$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

There is certainly good reason for disliking snake oil additives... but there are two that i would vouch for anyday, having seen immediate and direct results, as advertised;

  1. lucas at trans fix

  1. red line water Wetter (for slight overheat problems)

NOT to say that the lucas will fix your car as it works best for slips, not esp for shift fails due to worn pump or bad valving... but worth a try. I think it was 15 or so at pep boys

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've also seen the results of lucas, I had a slipping trans on a 89 buick park ave. put a bottle in, and managed to get another 20,000miles out of the trans before the clutches finally died. I put it into all of my (auto) vehicles now, it's the only additive I use..... Just hate the 10 minutes of squeezing it takes to get the stuff out of the bottle :)

Never seen the red line product, guess we don't have it here in canada :(

Reply to
Teknical