'89 Crown Vic engine problem

Hi all,
Got a problem that's cropped up lately, that I hope I can get some advice on. After starting, RPM surges up & down, and there's some roughness
while driving at low speed when the throttle is just off idle. It's getting worse and will now often stall after starting if you don't give it a little gas to keep it running. It idles fine once it's been running a few minutes, and runs fine at higher throttle settings, like at highway speeds. (It's a 302 with EFI & EEC-IV)
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Thanks, Dan
Dan Youngquist wrote:

Idle air valve/motor. Try cleaning it first, it's a $100 part. Bet you get a code 12 if you run codes.
--
"One month from today, the American dream is on the ballot." -- John Kerry, 10/2

So is the American Nightmare, Jack-F...