89 F-150, steering column shroud removal (and best manual?)

Just got a "new" 1989 F-150. It's got a manual transmission, and tilt-wheel steering. The ignition switch needs lots of jiggling to start the truck, especially when the steering wheel is in a high position. I'd like to look at the switch, clean it and/or replace it. I'm pretty sure the problem is the switch or the way the switch grabs that slider (and not the clutch safety switch or the solenoid). I'd like to fix it before it stops working all together.

How do I get the steel upper shroud off of the steering column? On my '84 Ranger this was all plastic and conisted of two pieces which were screwed together. On the '89 it seems to be one piece, and metal. It looks like if I pulled the steering wheel, I might be able to reach in and unbolt the ignition switch, then slide the whole deal off? (I'd still need to remove the knob for the flashers, does it unscrew or pull off?). Is this even the right approach?

Deja found some folks with the same question, but no answers. Also an indication that the chilton's book doesn't address this. What is the preferred shop manual for this truck. I normally go with the factory manual, but several people have told me that the Ford manual for this era is pretty lame. (My '84 has a decent Ford manual, but not really better than the Chilton's, and all of the emissions and driveability stuff is in a separate manual)

Thanks,

Bob Fourney

Reply to
Bob Fourney

I too have the 89 F150. You might not need to remove anything but the plastic cover under your steering column. It sounds like the actual switch has slipped. If you look down the column, about a foot from where it hits the firewall, you can just see the white switch pack on top of the column.

2 bolts hold it on, and allow for adjusting. If you do have to go into the column (highly likely in the future), you'll have to pull the wheel. It's pretty straightforward, just start removing screws and bolts as needed, remembering where they go to put it back together. Eventually, you will have to go into the column to replace a wishbone shaped piece of cast metal (cheaply made pot metal by the manufacturer). Why they make it so cheap I have no idea, but the guy at Ford here recognized it as soon as I laid the pieces on the counter, they keep several in stock, and he even knew what shelf it was on in his warehouse, and the part number and price, all without looking at his computer or a book. (Does that tell you anything?) And the new one is a bitch to install. But with patients, can be done with no special tools. And I have found that the best manual for this truck is the Haynes manual. Don't open your toolbox without it.

Peace...

Reply to
Eric

pull the wheel and lube everything in there. then check the electrical switch also, it might need adjustment or lubed/cleaned also.

Reply to
Scott M

I have a 89 F150 I bought a few years ago. The first thing I did was look for recalls to make sure the truck was up to date. I believe there was one for the ignition switch. You may want to check it out first, that way you're not paying for it. I autozone and Advance auto websites has a link to the recal site.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Thanks Eric. I didn't realize that the mechanical part was down there. I can feel the rod, see the white box but will wait until I get home to figure out how to slide it. This explains why it gets stiffer in certain 'tilt wheel' positions (and why I couldn't find the red and black wire up on the steering column when I was considering my hot-wiring options on the way home).

I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks also for the manual advise.

Reply to
Bob Fourney

Thanks for the help. I loosened those two bolts and slide it around until it seems to be in the correct place. The switch is stiffer now, so I'll eventually take more apart and clean and lube, but it starts reliably now.

Thanks again,

Bob Fourney

Reply to
Bob Fourney

Ford did have an ignition switch recall, I just never bothered because I never had a problem.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Bobetsky

I had to replace the accuature arm on an 89 F250 and it seemed the shroud was pretty easy to remove.

IceMan

Reply to
IceMan