89 Lincoln Mark VII Starts, won't run

A buddy of mine has a Lincoln mark VII in good condition he wants to sell (cheap too). It sat for several months and the battery was dead. He charged it and went to start the car. It will start and run, but only if he holds the key forward. Any ideas? I am thinking either a bad switch or a bad relay. Is there anyway to bypass the switch to test if it is bad? I was expecting a series a relays under the hood, but he says he can't find it. Where are they located?

Thanks- Kristopher

Reply to
<spamsux

Sharon K.Cooke

Thanks for the link. I should have also mentioned nothing accessories such as the radio will power on with the key in the forward position or the accesory position. The radio, etc is dead. Lights still work okay.

Reply to
<spamsux

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

The radio will not work with the key in the crank position. When he cranks it and it starts he can put it in gear and the starter will stop. If he lets go of the key, returning the ignition switch to the run position, the engine dies and the radio comes on. Sounds like a bad ignition switch, in an old car I would look at the ballast resistor.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No, radio is dead unless the key was in the start position. Anyway, checked it tonight, the ignition switch had popped apart. Few zip-ties and I was back in business.

http://www.l> > > > > >

Reply to
<spamsux

Reply to