89 Lincoln Mark VII Starts, won't run

A buddy of mine has a Lincoln mark VII in good condition he wants to sell (cheap too). It sat for several months and the battery was dead. He charged it and went to start the car. It will start and run, but only if he
holds the key forward. Any ideas? I am thinking either a bad switch or a bad relay. Is there anyway to bypass the switch to test if it is bad? I was expecting a series a relays under the hood, but he says he can't find it. Where are they located?
Thanks- Kristopher
The TFI module at the distributor can cause this problem, but so can several other things. Look/post here: http://www.lincolnsonline.com /
snipped-for-privacy@youmomma.org wrote:

Thanks for the link. I should have also mentioned nothing accessories such as the radio will power on with the key in the forward position or the accesory position. The radio, etc is dead. Lights still work okay.
Kristopher
wrote:

sell
if he

find
In that case, it's the starter relay at the driver side fender well; replace it.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.org wrote:

The radio won't work and you are saying replace the starter relay...... what did I miss? I was with you up 'till now. Bob
wrote:

He
only
switch or

bad?
The radio will not work with the key in the crank position. When he cranks it and it starts he can put it in gear and the starter will stop. If he lets go of the key, returning the ignition switch to the run position, the engine dies and the radio comes on. Sounds like a bad ignition switch, in an old car I would look at the ballast resistor.
Al

can't
No, radio is dead unless the key was in the start position. Anyway, checked it tonight, the ignition switch had popped apart. Few zip-ties and I was back in business.
Kristopher
wrote:

wants
dead.
but
is
If by the forward position you mean turning the key to start, that is normal.

Look at either the switch or the run circuit. There are two circuits for the ignition system. When you turn the key to start is one. then when the engine starts and you release the key to the run position is the second. That ( the second ) circuit has a resister in it, and can sometimes go open. If either is bad of the ignition switch is misadjusted you will get condition you describe. The Haynes manual has a pretty good schematic.