89 Lincoln Towncar Sputtering / No Guts

I have a 89 Lincoln Towncar 5.0L with 148k miles. It has idle through mid range roughness. The Bosch platnium spark plugs have maybe 10K on them and I recently changed the EGR valve and the EVP sensor in response to scan codes. That cleared up the symptoms for about five days but the symptoms slowly returned. The engine also seems to idle pretty slow and the tranny seems to clunk when shifting. It is showing no codes at all and passes KOEO and KOER test and cylinder balance tests as well. It has the original O2 and MAP sensors as far as I know. At 150k miles are either of these past their useful lives and could they be bad without throwing codes?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

try opening the hood and looking at the engine in the dark.. see if you see any arching from the spark plug wires... might need new wires or better wires if you already changed them....

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Saml

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

Thank for all the inputs. Definetely will check out the PCV and plug wires. As far as the timing chain goes...I wonder if it has a chain or belt? I'd imagine whichever it is it probably needs replacing so I'll check it out. I just got done replacing the timing set on my 77 Suburban that has similar mileage and it had 11 degrees of slop. What a difference the new set made! Restored the low to midrange torque completely.

Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

not really that familiar with the 4.6 but isn't it overhead cam...if it is I guess on a belt...maybe a chain but I'd guess belt...

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

sorry it's 5.0 first post says so.....forgot with such a long thread......ignore stupidness in previous post...

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

I found out it's a chain. I guess I will be checking it out in the next few days. Argh... not really looking forward to replacing it but with ~150k miles its probably pretty sloppy.

Reply to
Robert L. Wells