'89 Mustang, gas guage intermittent

Out most of the time, comes back every once in a while.
Any known issues with this model?
Thanks,

still me wrote:

It's a bad ground at the fuel tank area. Many of the Fox body cars do this eventually.

Thanks... I need to convey this info to a semi-mechanical friend who is 3000 miles from me so I don't have a car to look at... is the connection in a known location or does he have to just hunt around for it... or is it the sort of thing where you have to drop the tank?
thanks for any additional info,
"still me" wrote

Is it only the fuel gauge that goes wonky? The "instrument panel voltage regulator" powers it, along with the temperature and oil pressure gauges. If the regulator goes bad, all three gauges will give incorrect readings, either spiking or dropping to zero. The regulator is a little metal box that snaps onto the back of the cluster, much like a 9V battery.

I'm going to go with your answer on this one. On an '88 Cougar that I used to drive, the gas gauge would peg out and the temp gauge would peg out at the same time. It only happened about once every 3 or 4 months and it would only last about 15-20 seconds and then all was fine again. It was the instrument panel regulator.
On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:52:49 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Just the fuel AFAIK in this one. I am familiar with the regulator issue from another car - although I had forgotten about it until you reminded me.