89 Sable brake crunch noise

My 89 Sable wagon had brake pads and shoes replaced at 110K miles. At first the bakes were fine, but now at around 112K I am hearing a loud crunching/chattering noise whenever coming to a full stop. The brakes
will be quiet until the last half second before the car stops - then CRRRUNCH! The puzzling thing is that it seems to be coming from both the front disc and back drum brakes. The shop that did the brake job says that this noise is "normal."
Will this crunching noise go away as the brakes wear in? Will it get worse? Is there anything that can be done to reduce the noise now? Calling all Ford brake experts!
Armchair observer wrote:

I would make sure the calliper pins are not corroded and properly lubed.
I had a deal on one of my taurus where i had some brake noise. It turned out the aftermarket pads were slightly too big and the rotor wore a grove in them and i had some chatter when the grove got wore in deep enough.
The rears is would make sure the emergency brake is not dragging and the shoes are properly adjusted.
Bob
-
Armchair observer opined in

Sorry... this is likely caused by the pad/lining material used.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:56:51 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

The pads are new Ford parts. The rotors were aftermarket replacements. Would changing the rotors help?
The crunching noise you hear is an indication that something is not right. I would take it back and explain to them that the car did not make this noise prior to the repair, do a test drive and have them get it up on the lift to see what's rubbing or grinding.
There is always the possibility that the repair was probably done correctly and then something else decided to wear out on you coincidentally after it was done.