89 SHO question

Anyone know what fluid the manual 5spd SHO tranny takes ?.. also would a shorty shifter work better than the stupid 10inch stick in it now.. size
does matter but not in a car LOL thanx for any advice
Chevrolet wrote:

Then why does it matter if you have a shorty shifter or the OEM shifter?
If it is too long, perhaps you can take it to a urologist for him to circumcise.
Jeff
Chevrolet wrote:

Dexron III/Mercon ATF.

Lot's of A/M shifters are available. Check out
http://www.shotimes.com / http://www.superhighoutput.com / http://www.taurusclub.com /
Rob
thanx.. I'll try those sites

Chevrolet wrote:
Anyone know what fluid the manual 5spd SHO tranny takes ?.. _________________________________________________
"trainfan1" wrote:
Dexron III/Mercon ATF. _________________________________________________
"ATF" means "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID."
See an owner's manual or other source to find the correct lubricant.
Good luck.
Rodan.
"Rodan" wrote

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0c/0d/4a/0900823d800c0d4a/repairInfoPages.htm
Ford Taurus/Sable 1986-1995 Repair Information
Your Taurus or Sable uses a front wheel drive transmission called a transaxle.
A 5-speed fully synchronized manual transaxle is available on the 2.5L and 3.0L SHO Taurus/Sable models. An internally-gated shift mechanism and a single rail shift linkage eliminate the need for periodic shift linkage adjustments. The MTX transaxle is designed to use Type F or DexronII automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant. Never use gear oil (GL) in the place of Type F or DexronII.
LOL.. I knew what ATF was.. I just was not sure which fluid it took as up till 88-now most cars with a 5 speed used gear oil.. As for the manual.. it didn't have it and the chilton manual I have is good for bathroom use only.. lol.. Thanx all.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0c/0d/4a/0900823d800c0d4a/repairInfoPages.htm
Rodan wrote:

This IS from the owner's manual.
NOT a misprint. ATF is the Ford specified lubricant for the SHO(and many other) manual transmissions.
Rob

Chevrolet: Anyone know what fluid the manual 5spd SHO tranny takes ?..
trainfan1: Dexron III/Mercon ATF.
Rodan: "ATF" means "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID." See an owner's manual or other source to find the correct lubricant.
trainfan1: This IS from the owner's manual. ATF is the Ford specified lubricant for the SHO (and many other) manual transmissions. ___________________________________________________________
Thanks to trainfan1 for the correct information. I learn something new every day.
Best regards,
Rodan.
atf has been used in ford's manual transmissions and transfer cases for around 20 years now.

everything you wanted to know plus more http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?act=home