89 Towcar unable to turn Crankshaft CCW

My 89 Towncar had severe power drop after moderate acceleration and then shakes up and down violently when taking off from stoplight. Engines makes fairly loud clunking noises. I go to check timing chain slop and engine can rotate clockwise ok but freezes solid in trhe counterclockwise direction. Anyone know if I should be able to turn the crakshaft of this 5.0L engine counterclockwise? Clockwise(normal engine rotation) it turns with the normal resistance one would expect from compression etc. In the counterclockwise it stops immediately and doesn't budge. This is with spark plugs installed. Ford dealer thinks this indicates I broke my crankshaft yikes.... Anyone seen this before?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Engines makes fairly loud clunking noises.

This is probably your answer. A timing chain that has jumped won't usually make this sound. Sounds like a rod knock or something equally destructive internally. You probably have a broken rod hammering around in there. The rod is laying to one side and allowing you to rotate in the clockwise direction but hitting a casting in the counter clockwise direction. It depends on your meaning of "fairly loud". Pretty much, a knock is death to a motor. I hope I'm wrong, Tom Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins

why u hope your wrong

lets check how deep his wallet is

hurc ast

Reply to
pickone

Thanks for your answer Tom. Well I checked with a second Ford service manager and he thinks it is definetely a rod or a cracked crank as he has never seen an engine that was unable to be turned CCW that doesn't have a cracked crank or bent | loose | busted rod. I guess for grins I will try to see which shaft is "stuck in reverse". Nicest riding car I've ever owned, ran smooth and quiet and then this... With 151k on it I don't think its worthwhile to get it fixed unless I plan on a lot of work restoring the rest of it (tranny rebuild etc). Engine rebuild probably $1200 plus part I'd guess?

I thought of dropping the oil pan for a look but the service manual show

38 steps just to get the oil pan off!! Ford service manager says they automatically pull the engine and then replace the gasket cause it takes less time and they can do a better job and get a better look in the engine.

I've thought of gett> > My 89 Towncar had severe power drop after moderate acceleration and then

internally. You

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

Hey Robert, It's obvious your motor is toast. Weigh your options though. A reman motor is ~2K- $2.5K with installation.(Consider a used motor?) What would it cost to replace the car with something comparable.? How is the rest of the car? I would have recommended a Crown Vic as a replacement but you shot me down ;) Get some input from the

Towncar forum before you 86 your TC. You may decide to keep it. It is hard to find a replacement today.

Regards, Tom (lucky 84 MK VII owner) Adkins

Reply to
Tom Adkins

seen it lots of times, its torque converter -trans problem

Reply to
yearight