90 ford taurus

I have a problem with my 1990 ford taurus gl i have had several tests done on it and have all been great. After i drive it to a store and it is parked for just a minute or longer. It is hard to start and hard to keep it from dieing. I have to keep the gas pedal down and keep it down for several minutes for it to stay running. It has died on me several times when i have stopped a light. The battery is new. I need some advice i don't know much about cars and could use some help.

Reply to
jana

IAC valve is worn or just dirty. Shiny metal cylinder on top of engine, near throttle body.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

This sounds like a sticking Idle Air Control Valve, pretty common problem on Ford vehicles. It will look like one of the illustrations about halfway down this page:

It is mounted to the intake manifold near the throttle body (where the throttle cable connects). It's held on by 2 screws. They "can" be cleaned with solvent, but in my experience the problem often returns fairly soon. May be worth a try though. Replacements are a little pricy at about $70. If you decide to replace it, you may find a Wells brand part (carried by Auto Zone) for a good bit less money. Don't be tempted. The quality of this brand tends to run from bad to horrible on engine management parts.

Reply to
Tom Adkins