90' TBird - AC 'Popping' Sound

Hello,
I have a 90 Ford T-Bird which was recently converted to r134 after two years of non working AC. The 134 had a leak seaker, oil and refridgerant. AC worked for 3 days, then stopped completely. The
compressor was kicking in/out at 4 second intervals.
We put 12oz into the car hoping that perhaps the leak was sealed and another can would fill the AC up. This brought the AC down to a noticable level, but definately way away from 'cold'. After we put in this can, the level was certainly low but the compressor was kicking in/out with 50+ seconds on, 10+ seconds off intervals.
We decided to slowly add some more to get the pressure up to the 'normal' level according to the gauge.
While slowly adding 134, we never let the pressure get out of hand and something in the front end started a nasty loud 'popping' noise. And this noise was steadily growing quicker. We turned off the car. Started it back up and turned on the AC again, the popping was quite loud again, very quick intervals..
Thats when some light smoke came out of the vehicle. Everything works fine without AC turned on...
Can anyone offer a suggestion to what the popping came from and what is now needed to repair this problem? Maybe after I fix what we broke I can look towards fixing the leak..
Thanks!
Backyard hit it right on here... that horrific popping sound is the relief on the compressor. Happened the first time to me on a hot day when the electric fan bit the dust - in traffic.
The system will overpressure if little or no air is flowing over the core on a hot day. Does the T-bird have an electric fan, or a fan clutch? Should be a clutch on that one.
It seems very likely that your accumulator is now plugged/contaminated.
Rob * * *