91 cougar rear-end noise

I have a '91 cougar that has a winding noise in the rear-end. Obviously the faster I go the louder the winding noise gets. Is that the sound of the rear-end going? Expensive and hard to fix?
Thanks
Its a rear wheel bearing most probably
As my girlfriend most eleguently described hers
it sounds like you have another engine in the back