91 Lincoln Town Car

The starter is good, The timeing is good, It's getting fuel, But it still won't start. Tried to change coil packs, but still won't start.

Reply to
Chris3539

Did you pull any trouble codes?

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Look, if you have air, fuel, and spark, and you have them in sufficient quantity and at the right time, then you must not have compression. Otherwise, there's a problem with one of the above.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I don't have any compression. What does this mean?

Reply to
Chris3539

That you have a hole in every piston or 8 or more valves are burnt...........

Reply to
johanb

OK, Does this mean I need a valve job? How much does that cost? Can it be done "at home?" What kind of tools would it require? How hard is it? How would I be sure this is the problem?

Reply to
Chris3539

Have you cranked the engine with a plug wire off and held near the block to check for spark? Does the fuel pump whirr a few seconds when you twist the key to on (not start)? Try a blast of starting fluid in the intake, then try starting. I can't remember the exact details of the situation but it sounds like a spark or fuel problem to me. That car has the 5.0L engine, doesn't it? You might pull a plug or two to see if they are flooded or look OK...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

You have yet to say which engine you have. I do not recall which engine was in the '91. IIRC, it was the first of the

4.6L V8. Not many here can or will make an EWAG at the cause of your problem w/o info. I find it hard to believe the engine has no compression and the timing is good unless the cam chain has failed and it is a 4.6L engine in which case, it just plain ain't wuth fixin' and, it ain't no small job.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Not to be a smart ass......The questions you are asking would lead one to believe that you are in over you head. Asking around for a good mechanic would probably be your best bet if you don't know anyone with experience in auto repair to help. Good luck.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Buy a good used engine. cost you less, more reliable, quicker fix.

but first go back and ensure that you've got no compression and that your baseline timing is correct

Reply to
joe schmoe

From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Chris3539)

I don't have any compression. What does this mean? =========

hi chris - were you driving this car or bought this car "as is"?

here's why.

had a weird problem with a 1992 lincoln. i had owned this car for about 2 years and just parked the car as normal. next day, the engine spun over like it had no compression. the car was not abused, so it had me scratching my head. had fuel, and everything checked out except that the engine just spun over fast like it had dropped the timing chain.

i had another car to drive, so i didn't put this high on my priorities but did go out and made checks in a logically fashion - taking my time.

after about three weeks, i went out to go over what i tests and look for something that i was maybe overlooking. i put the key in and the engine started like normal. no rough idle, no knocking, just a smooth purr.

i drove the car another year and finally gave it to one of my sons who needed a car. he still has it.

to this day, i do not have a clue what happened or a reason for it.

other than this one quirk, the car never left me stranded or gave me any trouble.

so, why wouldn't it start for 3 weeks???

my only suspicion is that it was parked on an incline and maybe the oil ran out of the system letting the valve train bleed dry.

i've had 6 fords since, with the 4.6 and none of them have done this, nor have i've heard of anyone having a problem like the one i described.

hope your fix is an easy as this one.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer