91 Police Intercepter Problem

Problem, vehicle won't pass state emissions. Used scan tool to read faults from ECM. No output or code data found. This is for a 1991 Crown Vic, 351 intercepter package that includes a feedback carb (crap). Is this a common
problem (no output) with the interceptor package? Could the ECM be dead, is it fused? Can anyone help?

Yes it will be fused. I remember a problem with that carb. (a long time ago, sorry) It has an inrichment type choke if I remember right. It likes to stick. What was the readings on the failed test...Hi CO? Can you post all the readings and what the limits to pass are? Who tested the ECM? you? Are you at your shop working on it? If so the Ford book will have a section on what to test if you get no output from the ECM. Good luck with that thing. I used to work on those cop cars all the time, I dont miss that system. :) Never could figure out why Ford put the carb on those, all the 305's had EFI by then. Maybe they needed to "use them up" ?

Most likely did the test incorrect.

Probably did an EEC-IV test instead of MCU test, which is what this car has, right?
Rob * * *

No, first the owner connected a scan tool to the pigtail under the hood and "no-codes" . Later the owner took the car into a shop that specializes in "failed emission vehicles"and the shop stated the same thing "no codes", yes the vehicle does emit high HC's but runs fine. Is it maybe a unique problem with the 91 interceptors.

Just because some one "specializes" does not mean they know how to test this system. You have MCU not EECIV, MCU used the same diagnostic connector as EECIV, but does not work like EECIV.

Just post the exact HC, CO and NOX readings and we will try to help.