91 thunderbird

I just got the car , price was right, it was not running, was told to me the timming chain was bad, new chain installed, eng runs really good at idle.( no knocking) I am thinking at around 2 thousand rpm,s it starts
knocking. my ? is , if it was the rods will it be knocking all the time? and the oil prussure light will come on in drive at idle, is my thinking right that the rod bearings are bad???????????
Jerome McDonald wrote:

all the time the rods are ready to leap out of the block. I'll bet at one time the head gaskets, or timing cover gasket went and coolant washed the bearings. The light at idle is a dead give away. Oh, duh, I got into 3.8 headgasket mode and forgot the obvious. Shame on me. Drop the pan and clean the oil pump pickup, Pieces of the timing gear have likely plugged it. Check the bearings while you're there.                 Tom

I did not see how many miles do you have on the motor? Is it a 6 or 8?