91 Town Car AOD

Seems to be stuck in forward in all manual positions. Adjustment is right. Previous owner ran with TV cable disconnected. I've had the valve body
apart twice now to make sure nothing is stuck. Any ideas before I surrender and trade it for another at a junk yard? I'm more than a little mechanically skilled. TIA George
"George Jaynes" wrote

My 2 cents (and worth every penny)......
Previous owner was an idiot, and burned out the transmission. TV disconnected = tranny thinks it's at idle all the time, and provides very little pressure to the internal clutches. Hit the gas, everything slips, and about 5 miles later the tranny is toast. Rebuild it with all new clutches, or swap for a hopefully good junkyard piece.
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:25:24 GMT, "George Jaynes"

What Masterblaster said
Lugnut

All in agreement with what MasterBlaster said, and lugnut seconded, say aye:
aye
CJB
Guess I'll get started on that today. Junkyard price is 250, i can probably come out ahead doing my own rebuild. Thanks guys.
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:55:57 GMT, "George Jaynes"

If you do your own rebuild, make sure you get and use the installer sleeves for the clutch pack seals. I wasted too much time before I gave in and bought them. A regular universal clutch pack compressor, a good assortment of snap ring pliers and lots of patience are the only other requirements. Also, use the wide heavy duty OD band as that is a major weak point if you intend to keep the car. If you don't mind it a bit firm, you can also help it by removing the sleeve from the OD apply piston and using the large piston for a bit more hold in OD. IMHO, a shift improver kit is also well worth the time.
Lugnut