91 tracer starting problems

I have a 91 tracer that is acting up. I had to brake hard and the brake and fuel cut off light came on. It got me home (2 hours). Then it would not
crank next time I tried to start it. After turning the key while the car was in reverse, the lights went out and it started. The lights came on again after around 30 minutes of driving with the same result. Any ideas?