92 3.8 Head Gasket Update, and Help, Please

OK, I have the heads off, but the ENTIRE engine is covered in a thick coolant/oil mixture. Looks sort of like runny yogert. From what I was told by my dad (the owner), it had been intermittently hard to start some morning
for the past few months. I drove it, and there was some hesitation on first acceleration. My thought was the head gaskets. I did a compression test, and found the fault at cylenders 1-2. About a week later, catasrophic failure of the gasket, James Bond smoke screen. It had been driven about 10 miles from the time of the failure to today, when I took off the heads.
So, question 1: what is the possibility of serious engine damage (bearing, cylinder walls, etc)?
Question 2: If I go ahead with the head gasket replacement, how do I get all that Dannon out of the engine?
Question 3: Does anyone want to buy a 92 Cougar, partially dis-assembled? lol
Thank you for your kindly response. I love reading all these posts, seems I learn something new everytime I read.
-John

dude serious bearing wash u need a motor sell it to nelson
hurc ast
jbtaurus98 wrote:

Hi John, Please ignore our village idiot, although the actual answer he gave is correct. By the time the engine is gunked up as you describe, the bearings are gone. The coolant washes the soft bearing material from the bearing shells quickly. Question 2 is moot. Consider at least a short block if the car is in decent shape. Don't take a chance on a used motor. It is pretty well worthless as is. (14 years old, blown motor, assuming +100K miles).             Sorry, Tom
Psst, think 5.0L w\5speed :)
"Tom Adkins" wrote in message

Tom, Thanks for the advice, the car is in overall good shape, (right on with the miles, about 103,000), he only drives it about 3 miles to work and back. I was just going to take off the oil pan, clean up as best as I can, take the heads to a local machine shop, and replace the head gaskets. A new Fel-Pro set sells for $92, and the head bolts are $15/set at my local Auto Zone. My dad feels, as well as I, that it's worth a shot for under $300. I'm going to obviously change the oil/filter, then change it again after a few miles of driving.
Hey, Tom, do you think I can wedge that 5.0L w/5speed into my '98 Taurus?
thanks again,
-john
On a side note, what's with Craftsman tools lately? During this job today, my 3/8" extension cracked at the socket end, and later, my 3/8" drive locked up.
That's how Craftsman generates repeat business.
Are they still American made? Seems a lot of hand tool manufacturers are casting in places like India these days.
The best deal so far are their yellow tape measures. I bought one and I'm on my third already in three years. The stupid tape always breaks after so many bends, but they keep replacing them for free.

bwhahahahaha your waisting your time

better off wedging it in a scrap yard

Tom Adkins wrote:

At the minimum, i would take the crank out and have it ground with new bearings. If your really a cheapskate, just new bearings if the journals are not too bad. But that's really rolling the dice...... ANd you might as well pull it out and have the motor hot tank dipped.
The surfacing on the 3.8 heads is critical to them lasting a fruitful life before another headgasket failure.
Bob
-
dude that engine is junk..dont waste your money..Ford did a RECALL o it for head gaskets couple years back...they put a new motor i mine...good luck if you try to get it running...I agree the bearin are going to be shot...