92 Aerostar transmission problems

On my 92 Aerostar the tranny is starting to act up. Usually it happens when you let off the gas to break for a stop or after going up a slope and then try to take off
again there is nothing there. If you goose the gas a few times it will kick back in. A friend of mine says it might be a switch on the side of the trans that is sticking. Is there such a thing or is the trans going out? It has plenty of fluid but could stand to be changed. Its a 4.0 motor with rear wheel drive. Thanks for any input,
Kirk

What happens if you put it in manual low to take off? If it works then, you likely have a front spraq clutch going out. Went out on my '92 3 liter.
I don't believe I've tried this, I have went into the other gears but don't thing I tried to take off. I'll give it a try.

when
is
Putting it in any other gear does no good.

that
could