92 crown victoria 4.6L rear freeze plug leak?

Hello everyone, I am trying to fix my girlfriends 92 crown victoria with a 4.6L engine. The coolant is leaking from between the transmission and engine, I removed the transmission and the flywheel, I can see 2 freeze plugs on both sides of the block that are not leaking, I see an empty hole in center top above the crankshaft rear seal, the leak is coming from that hole, it appears as if a freeze plug could go there but I dont think thats what was there.

Does anyone know if this hole is for a freeze plug?

Thanks simon30

Reply to
simon30

Thomas Moats

================================== OOPs you may have removed the tranny for nothing, might be from the intake or something on top of the motor

Reply to
Scott M

================== How bout this. have a helper with the use of a hose blow air into the hole you speak of, look/listen at the radiator with the cap off. If there is noise/coolant from the radiator fill hole then I would say you need to plug the hole with a soft plug/freeze plug. Call the parts store-preferably ford and ask for that plug. ford parts will have a picture of the thing too.

Reply to
Scott M

The tranny was removed for nothing, that hole is some type of vent or something, there is a steel pipe that runs under the intake that connects to a rubber hose, that is the leaker and now I have to bench press a transmission back into place while swimming in transmission fluid.

and one im all done with that, I'll have to yank the intake to repair the problem, all this cause the girlfriend doesnt know that bellowing steam from under the hood means pull over and call me.

Thanks every>

Reply to
simon30

Reply to