92 Crown Victoria hesitating

Hi folks. I have a 92 crown Victoria. quite a few KM on it, but a little while ago, it started acting up. when i'm starting out to drive, it acts fine, but as it gets going, it will start to sputter,
and hesitate. when i hold the peddle to the mat, it stops doing it, but when i let off, it starts again. We had this issues before, and it was a bad plug. I changed all the plugs this time, but no love. i am going to replace the plug wires for sure, but i read this problem could be the throttle position sensor... any ideas? some kind of a problem with spark advance?
any opinions or insite would be helpful. :)
Handmade wrote:

it has ignition packs.
Wouldn't also hurt to check for trouble codes and run engine diagnostics. On a '92 all you need for that is a test light and a paper clip.

Indeed! I have no clue as to how to do that, but if you could point me to resources, i'd be grateful.

The factory 'Engine Electronics and Emission Control' manual is of course the best, but googling for something like 'EEC-IV codes' will bring a lot of useful information. Here is one I found in just a couple minutes:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford /
(Seems decent, though I did not see the detailed procedure for on-demand "Key-On Engine Running" diagnostics there -- it's pretty simple, but varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle).
Notice that EEC-IV can't self-diagnose ignition or fuel pressure. So rule those problems out first, if suspected.
Incidentally, the best resource for CV on the web is the crownvic.net forum. Plenty of very knowledgeable people there to help you, and lots of stuff in their searchable archives.
Good Luck!
Happy Traveler wrote:

http://grandmarq.net/ has lots of resources too...
(same car platform)
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

thanks to everyone for the links and advice. i'll post back when i find the issue for someone else to learn :)

well folks. i replaced the plug wires last night, and it seems to work fine today!
I am not a mechainc, but how about changing the fuel filter. A 92 crown victoria must have over 100,000 miles on it. hope this helps greg :)

Handmade wrote:

My Cavalier used to do that. always at the same position (or more like pedal acts funny between there & there). replaced the TPS sensor and it went away.
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!