92 F150

My shifter popped and all I can get is neutral and drive. I have looked at the column with covers off and decided to get some advice since all garages in my area are now closed. The shifter has a lot of slop now. Is there a spring or pin inside that may have broke? Any help will be great. I was going to pull the column, but I decided I'ld seek advice.

Reply to
cobra-jet

shift tube time

hurc ast

Reply to
relic896

It's a fairly common problem, CJ.... Along the top of the column is a steel rod running through a pot metal tube.... the tube breaks and the shaft bends. (less common is one of the screws holding the lever that the cable attaches to at the bottom of the column shifter will come out). I usually don't remove the column... you can remove the knee bolster and drop the column down enough to get to the screws holding the broken stuff to the column.... once you see it in person, it gets easy.

Ping me if you run into any snags.

Reply to
Jim Warman