92 ford rangercodes 18 & 19

I got code 18 erratic IDM input to processer/ SPOUT circuit grouded, and code 19 falure in EEC internal voltage. whats this saying, the book dosnt give a part to change? any help out there?

Reply to
niceville

Sorry i left out the important info, its a 1991 2.3l EFI

Reply to
niceville

Well i replaced the computer and still wont start. it acks like it fires for a secound and quits, I think i might have a fuel problem?

I was at a stop light and it coughed and quit. it has coughed before. when coming to a stop but always cought it self and never quit. I checked the timing and its good.(thought it might have jumped a tooth) I changed the duel spart comtrol modual last year(it lost one side)maybe thats where i got the 18,19 codes. the computer now just gives me code 11 which is good. any help would be good, seeing how the wife is gona be pissed i spend $100.00 and it didnt fix it.

Reply to
niceville

Code 18 usually = bad TFI module. Hope that helps out.

P.S. EFI is better than carbs anyday. I've owned 2 carb vehicles and a 94 Ranger 2.3L and a 95 3.4L Camaro that I traded a carb (yeeech)

1980 MGB to get. I just wanted a reliable toy to cruise in.
Reply to
alfredB18

Code 18 usually = bad TFI module. Hope that helps out.

P.S. EFI is better than carbs anyday. I've owned 2 carb vehicles and a 94 Ranger 2.3L and a 95 3.4L Camaro that I traded a carb (yeeech)

1980 MGB to get. I just wanted a reliable toy to cruise in.
Reply to
alfredB18

Ok i changed the computer after 3 people came to that part on there own. Lost 100 dollars, I found the air bypass valve on the throttle body bad replaced that, still no start. I found one spark plug wire bad replaced that and it starts. But now it stalls and back fires under quick acceleration. if i ease it up,it works fine, but quick accel it coughs and back fires, and sometimes catchs it self if the peddle is released. Im not getting any codes now except 11 witch is good. So now i dont know where to look. Any help out there? Payday it gos to the shop if i cant get it going. and thats gona hurt!

Reply to
niceville

Try replacing a bunch more parts. I'm sure you will find it. Just keep replacing parts on it.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Thanks for your imput Oscar. ok for those who have some help for me, I checked everything again with the limited knowlage I have(but learning alot with this problem) ran it and got code 28=lose of IDM right side. and code 88= lose of duel plug input control. the IDM as i understand comes from the coil. so i checked the spark coming from it and its red instead of blue. It oms out good and all the wires and plugs are good. As i understand it the IDM input is telling the computer if the spark is good for the conditions the engine is in, and if the coil is not working properly and not sending the tech signal to the computer then it should trip the 88 code. so im thinking its the right coil? I cant buy a part till payday(2 days away) so any help on this would be great. I realy cant and dont want to do as Oscar has said. Anyone with some real help,It would be real nice to hear from ya. Thanks

Reply to
niceville

Try your local Ford dealer. He has factory-trained technicians who can properly diagnose the problem rather than throwing parts at it.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

IT'S FIXED! the coil fixed the problem.

Lessen learned FOLLOW the maual to the letter. code 18 took me to the coil and i short cutted the checks. only when i got code 28 and saw that it pionted to the coil also, that i did the checks the way the maual said. I'll never know if the computer was bad, but it did have a fault code for internal voltage bad. Did I save money by fixing it my self? $150.00 for parts and I learned alot about how the computer system works on the truck. SHOP COST= 65+ for diagnostics, 45+ for laber,and parts. I think I came out ahead in the cost,BUT the knowlage I gained has no price comparision. I win this round. Thank to all that helped

Reply to
niceville