92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Threaded View
I have a 92 Taurus that seems to be overheating.  The Temp gauge will
get up near the high end Hot.  It seems to be intermitent.  Sometimes
it runs cool and sometimes hot.  I have tried replacing the thermostat
and running some radiator cleaner through the system.  The coolant
that I drained had lots of rusty orange in it.  I had the head gaskets
replaced about 2 years ago.  The car has about 89000 miles on it.

Are these symtoms from a blocked radiator.  What are my options?  Is
it hard to take the radiator out on this car and have it flow tested?
Can these radiators be rodded out?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Is the radiator fan operating on when it should?  Under what circumstances
does it overheat?

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

The fan comes on when it should.  I thought the problem happened only
when I was in stop and go traffic but it happens when I am driving at
about 35 mph also.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
i got a 93 3.0 taurus, no you dont have a plastic impeller in the water
pump like another poster suggested so you can forget that.. if you have
rusty water in the radiator then you probably have water in the system
and not coolant... that would make it run hot as the plain water boils
over at 212 F whereas the 50/50 mix of coolant to water will go about
260 deg. before it boils over.. if you are interested in a new radiator
they cost about $115 at www.radiators.com  and alot of local places that
sell wholesale radiators. they are not worth trying to fix the plastic
radiators.. they wanted $75 to work on mine.. a few dollars more and you
get a new one...   with a 92 taurus its about time for new hoses both
upper and lower radiator hoses.... its four bolts to get the old
radiator out and the two connections from the auto/trans cooler lines to
the radiator  and how about a new rad. cap just in case it blows its
pressure before the 16 lbs. that it is suppose to hold,, mine would blow
it at 4 lbs. of pressure ( found this out with a test)....

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

 if you have

Plain water has the best thermal conductivity and therefore cooling. Coolant
helps: stops rust and lowers freeze point due to the alcohol (presuming its
a glycol-mix).

It the pressure cooling systems run that raises boiling point. This is a
function of the radiator cap and air-tightness of hoses etc.

A normal thermostat runs well below 212f or 100c. Any car (with the
exception of some earlier models) which is running at or near 212f has a
problem.

Jason

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Basic rule the higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. The lower the
pressure the lower the boiling point. Yes it does matter. The higher the
pressure the more heat a fluid can adsorb.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Absolutely right. Some newer cars CANNOT function without a pressurized
cooling system because the normal "hot spot" temperatures in the cooling
system are above the boiling point of a water/coolant mix at atmospheric
pressure. The higher temps help fuel efficiency and lower emissions, but
pretty much rule out the old option of "limping home" with the radiator
cap off if you blow a hose and have to wrap it with duct-tape...

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Not the only reason:

http://dl.clackamas.cc.or.us/ch105-03/boiling.htm
http://epa.gov/pesticides/kids/hometour/products/coolant.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm

BOB

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Coolant
its

The point was, you were impying his problem may have been due to not running
coolant. This is not so. Any car which is relying on the higher boiling
point of a coolant mix (beyond that of water at atmospheric pressure) to not
boil, has a systemic fault in its cooling apparatus.

High boiling points of coolant only afford protection when a car is
operating at an extreme condition where its coolant had progressed well past
the normal operating temp of the engine (as set by the thermostat) by a
dangerous margin.

The original posters problem is separate to which coolant he is operating.

Jason

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
What about trying to flush the radiator out.  Would that be enough to
unplug the radiator?  Any additives that would help?  I have tried
Prestones flush additive.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
It's a 92 for God's sake. Replace it.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
no the 92 taurus dont have plastic impellers in the water pumps.. its
all metal....

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
i have a 93 taurus with 3.8  they do have bad  water pumps there  around
$30.00 to replace (DO NOT LET THAT CAR GET TO HOT)  3.8 will blow a head
gasket in a heart beat

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
The fan seems to work fine.  I wonder if the radiator is plugged.
Has anyone replace one of these?  Would backflushing help?

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
I am not loosing any water.  No oil in the water or water in the oil.
The fan runs when it gets hot.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem

Define what "Hot" means? Is it in the red, or just hotter than
normal? Another thought. Your cat could be partially clogged
causing the motor to run hotter than normal. I think ford recalled
our 90 at one time and put one on for free.

Just a note: Careful if you buy a new radiator. I bought a dual core
for my 93 thinking for a few bucks more its the way to go.
I could barely get the dam fan back on with the extra space it took.
If i did it again, i think i would have just got the stock one.
Everything went fine until i tried to shoe horn the fan back on the
radiator.

BOB

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
A plugged cat will not cause the engine to run hotter. The simple reason is with
a plugged exhaust less air can be drawn into the engine.

Re: 92 Ford Taurus 3.8 V6 overheating problem
Try cleaning the outside of the rad with a high pressure wand at a car wash.
Spray in between the condenser and the rad.    Just wash the rad really good
and see what happens.

Site Timeline