92 taurus no first in drive

I've got a 92 Taurus L. Just finished putting a rebuilt transmission in it and dropping the engine back in. Everything seems to work smoothly except for shifting. Reverse drops in fine, and manually downshifting
to 1st works. But in either drive or overdrive it seems to be trying to start in second and won't drop down to 1st, or shift at all.
Speedometer works fine and I've gotten it up to 30, but it won't shift... I've been told I might just have to adjust the linkage from the column to the transmission but despite my 'fiddling' I can't seem to get it to settle down and work right... Any advice?
*sigh*
No help?
I followed all the advice I could find on aligning the cable correctly, disconnecting, moving to OD on the column, OD on the tranny and reconnect the two. Didn't work. Did I miss some sensor or something or is this new transmission bad?