92 Taurus Possible Transmission Problem

I have a 1992 Ford Taurus. I went for a long drive the other day, and on the way home when I got on the highway it made a really loud noise when I got to 40 mph. I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I'm
guessing it's either the muffler or a transmission problem. It also makes a howling noise when I slow down. Does anyone have any sugestions? Someone told me I might need to add transmission fluid, which I haven't ever checked.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Rob) wrote in message

If it is as seriously low on tranny fluid as may be the case, shifting gears should be a bit more of an effort. Water pumps also howl and would make similar sounds.
Check your fluid level in the tranny and check to see if your water pump is circulating water after it is warmed up by removing the rad cap.
Duke
You can check with the SHO Shop. They know the SHO inside and out, but their business practices are terrible. Located around LA. Check with the vendor listing on www.shotimes.com
Marc

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Thanks for your help! The problem ended up being a bad hub and bearing on a tire. I'm sorta glad that it was just that ($200). I can't seem to find the dipstick for the tranny fluid. I looked in the manual for my 3.0L non-SHO, and in the diagram of my hood it pointed where it should be, but said "Not pictured".