92 taurus trans problem

When I get in the car in the morning have no problem with it going in gear but after it warms up won't go in gear. Shifts fine when goes in gear no slips. any advice would be great on a fix and price range I'm
looking at Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jeff Dunlap) wrote:

Are you saying the problem is moving the shift selector into gear or, once you get it into the right position, the transmission doesnt respond?
you pay..DEAL with it!
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:13:06 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Sounds like the second. If this is the case, it sounds to me like he's either got the foward clutch pack seal gone, or possibly even the valvebody gasket (in which case, fluid would not be routed properly to the apply devices, so the trans drops back to a 'neutral' state, )
If it's a clutch piston seal (or seals, ) then that's definitely a job for a tranny shop. If it's a valve body gasket, you MIGHT be able to DIY.
But, I'd lay heaviest odds on that trans needing a overhaul.
You might try to use some of that automatic transmission stop leak, see if that helps.
-LMB
Thanks for the responses so far . But it is the second. When the problem first started it would kick real hard in to gear but now its like its in newtral. Put it in drive or reverse and its like its in park. I Know its not the shifter cable had that checked out. Well thanks glad to hear more Ideas but I well probaly will take get looked at a trans. shop but I really don't trust them to much, afraid they will just tell me to I'll need a rebuilt one to make more money off me.
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:24:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jeff Dunlap) wrote:

Ok, drain the fluid from your trans (If you don't know how to do so, just ask, you'll need a filter, pan gasket, and enough fluid to refill the trans, not to mention some Lucas transmission treatment, )
Odds are, if the tranny still rolls when cold, it's a bad seal, but you might be able to nurse some more life outta it.
Feel free to email me with any questions,
-LMB