92 Taurus transmission leak

I have a 92 Ford Tauras with 108k miles on it. I had the head gaskets replaced about 3 years ago ($1500), the ac compressor ($1000) and the starter and CV joint boot replaced ($500). Now I have a leak in the
tranmission. It looks like it is leaking from where the shaft comes out of it. Does anybody know how much it would cost to replace the shaft seal. Does the tranny need to be pulled to do this? Any other major repair I should anticipate with this car?
I have heard that some of the transmission in these cars are defective. How would I determine if I have one of the defective ones.
Thanks,Paul

================================It is a seal that leaks there, $10 part, $130 labor-tops. If you take it to the same place you did for the other repairs it would probably be $500. Where do you live? Is it normal for shops around you to get $150 an hour for repairs? Jeeeez
I had one replaced in a Corolla recently for $60 plus a $7 part.

paul wrote:

if its leaking from the seal from transmission to the CV axle then you just pull the axle like you did when it was replaced and then pull the seal and then tap another one in there and you are all set to go.... a 1992 car that needs this is kinda normal wear with that mileage.. maybe you should have replaced it when the CV joints were replaced...
I'd love to be the mechanic for this guy. I'd charge him $500 for replacing a $10 item.

The axle seals are easy to replace, and should not take any longer than a hour per side. So no it does not have to be pulled to make the repair. At 108k miles and 12 years old, you would have known if your transmission was defective or not by now.

Thomas Moats wrote:

Do you have to drain the trannie fluid to change the seals? Any special tools to get them out and in?
BOB
You don't need to drain the fluid, but have a drain pan handy you will loose some. You need the correct seal driver. A lot of people use hook style seal removers to take them out. I don't because the hook cuts into the bore for the seal creating a leak. I like to remove the seal from it's flange.

hour per

and 12

now.
paul wrote:

If it's an AXOD or AXODE it is time (I mean over 100K) to have troubles. Watch the transmission liquid level very carefully, otherwise you'll lost your tranny. Other major repairs? Did you mention engine heads? Oh, you did. :)
How do I know if I have one of these types of Transmissions.

paul wrote:

1. Open the hood and look for an identity, or 2. Look at the owner's manual, or 3. Visit your local library or book store, find a book about Taurus and leaf through it right there, or 4. Google it ;)
BTW, if someone needs a pretty detailed diagnosis and testing, disassembly and assembly manual of Ford AXOD by Automatic Transmission Service Group (www.ATSG.biz), I have one for sale. It had left over of my sold Lincoln Continental. 112 letter format pages in excellent condition. $12.85 including shipping in continental US. Write me personally cuting the ".FAKE.CUT.IT" out from my email address. Thank you.

If you have a 92 you have an AXODE.